Senior Investment Strategist, Responsible Investment – NZ Super Fund
- ~$43 billion in total assets
- Develop and maintain the Guardians' responsible investment framework
- Responsible Investment, Investments business unit
The NZ Super Fund is New Zealand’s sovereign wealth fund, established to partially pre-fund the future cost of New Zealand superannuation. The Fund currently sits at ~$43 billion, invested across a wide range of asset classes and geographies. The Fund is managed by a Crown entity, the Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation (Guardians). The Guardians has won global accolades for its financial performance, governance and responsible investment leadership, as well as being recognised as one of the most innovative sovereign wealth funds globally.
The Guardians is committed to being a responsible investor, meaning it sees environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues as material to long term investment returns. The Fund’s governing legislation also requires the Guardians – amongst other things – to avoid prejudice to New Zealand’s reputation as a responsible member of the world community.
The Responsible Investment (RI) team sits within the broader investments business unit, with responsibility for developing and maintaining the Guardians’ RI framework to ensure that RI considerations are integrated into all investment decisions.
As Senior Investment Strategist, Responsible Investment, your core responsibilities will include:
- Integration of ESG considerations into the Guardians’ investments and decision making
- Support ESG due diligence and management across asset classes
- Advance internal ESG capabilities, including the understanding and use of ESG metrics in modelling and investment analysis
- Contribute to improving and implementing the RI framework, including analysis of new investment opportunities, ESG issues and manager reviews
- Monitoring, review and reporting of exclusions, portfolio monitoring, voting and other ownership activities
- Input on RI-related communications and stakeholder relations
- Championing the Guardians’ vision, values and constructive culture at all times
To be successful, this opportunity requires an experienced practitioner with ‘in the field’ ESG experience. Whilst not essential, real assets skills such as in property and infrastructure, managing safety, environment and community issues, would be highly desirable. You may be experienced in sustainability, health & safety, or environmental consulting within an advisory firm or large corporate, or a responsible investment/ESG/sustainability specialist within an asset owner or equivalent business.
Key to your success is your ability to work across teams, carry out in-depth research and analysis, with data modelling experience viewed highly favourably. Naturally inquisitive with a passion for RI/ESG/sustainability, you will display commercial judgement, with the interpersonal profile to make recommendations in line with the Guardians’ mandate.
The Guardians is an exceptional team where input and collaboration are encouraged. You will be collegial, adopt a constructive approach, and have the ability to develop effective internal and external relationships.
With a reputation for excellence, the Guardians attributes the Fund’s success to the calibre of its staff, its commitment to diversity both in thought and background, and a commitment to global best practice. The Guardians is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring practices. Reasonable support will be provided to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. To build a strong and talented workforce, the Guardians is actively building an inclusive workplace and encourages expressions of interest from a diverse applicant pool, including applicants interested in discussing flexible work options.
If you’re looking for a stand out opportunity to work within a world class team, here it is. For a confidential conversation please contact Daniel Turner, Principal Consultant, on 021 193 0369, or apply on the link below.